Zappa & the Mothers

Happy Mothers Day everyone!

4 Likes

About time we got a Zappa/Mothers thread going! Had the Mothers Day compilation on earlier today and Roxy and Elsewhere on last night. Had to spin Cheepnis after hearing about Roger Corman’s passing. '73-'75 was really something else.

1 Like

I think his son Dweezil is worth to be mentioned:

For sure his father would be proud of him.

2 Likes

Dweezil’s awesome. Have to post this killer Zomby Woof with him and Steve Vai (and Napoleon Murphy Brock on vocals).

2 Likes

The last concert I saw before Pandemic was Dweezil doing this Hot Rats tour!! Never in a million gizzillion years did I ever think I’d hear anyone play Little Umbrellas or It Must Be A Camel or even Gumbo Variations live. Goddamn that was so fucking cool. Scheila Gonzalez absolutely crushed it!

This article & interview explains why it’s so impressive… Inside Dweezil Zappa's mission impossible: performing his father's Hot Rats album live | Guitar World

1 Like

Have this one on today. I should really listen to The Yellow Shark more.

1 Like

25+ years as a fan. I look back at Project Object still as some of the most technically proficient live shows I’ve ever seen, maybe until Dweezil started touring his dad’s songs. I was fortunate enough to see both Napoleon Murphy Brock and Ike Willis play with them like over 20 years ago now.

edit: 22 years ago it seems Project/Object to Tour with Ike Willis and Napoleon Murphy Brock (jambands.com)

1 Like

still my favorite Zappa release of all time:

1 Like

oh man you got to hear the YCDTOSA Vol 2 version of Cheepnis if you haven’t already. The album is lot of the same songs as Roxy and Elsewhere, but much later in the tour. The tempo is like 2x as fast despite most of the band being super sick.

1 Like

YCDTOSA2 is all killer no filler. Blazing hot Cheepnis! Great groove in the middle of that one too.

Speaking of songs being played much faster live: if you’ve never heard the Buffalo Keep It Greasy, it’s a must. Arthur Barrow and Vinnie Colaiuta are on fire playing approximations (?) of the 19/16 and 21/16 of the original. I can’t even comprehend what they’re playing it’s that fast.

lol that’s nutz. I hadn’t heard that yet. is there a better song about anal?

If there is, Zappa is probably the person who wrote it lol

1 Like

I hadn’t heard of Project Object (I’m pretty casual when it comes to Zappa), but wow that really is tight, very impressive stuff.

1 Like

The slide solo in this is unreal.

1 Like

so, so good…

note that it’s Sneaky Pete Kleinow on the steel, not Zappa

1 Like

This thread is a good reminder that I still need to listen to Zappa/Erie, a live set from my hometown from recordings done in '74 and '77. Apparently, the Zappa “Vaultmeister” is also from Erie, Pennsylvania.

1 Like

I’ve missed like the last 20 years of vault releases.

I don’t always get to the vault releases but there’s some real gems in there. Mudd Club’ 80 for example.

1 Like

I wish there was footage of the band playing this one. So many in-jokes, references and bits.

1 Like