General Prince Thread

“By far, hands down the greatest living guitarist in any genre is Prince Rogers Nelson. Prince does so many things well that it’s easy to forget that he is also a world class shredder.”

– Dean Ween

Fuckin’ A, dude.

I always feel like “that guy” when I tell people this, but I was incredibly fortunate to see Prince in 2013 on his club tour with 3RDEYEGIRL at DNA Lounge in San Francisco. DNA’s capacity is listed at 800; it was a very intimate show.

It legitimately changed my life and my relationship to music. Not something I’ve ever said nor expect to say about another act.

Prince himself, the crowd, and 3RDEYEGIRL were all impeccable. No one commands a stage like The Purple One.

It was one of the first shows I went to that disallowed cell phones so I’ll have is the ticket stubs which are badass in their own right.

few artists whose emotion/passion is as palpable as prince

Prince is great and Purple Rain is an all-time favorite album and movie.

My favorite Prince fact though is how big of a Stan he was for Joni Mitchell. He called Hissing of Summer Lawns album the last perfect album and told interviewers that Joni should be taught in schools. He reached out to her several times over the years but she wouldn’t give him much attention.

1 Like

One of my few regrets is not trying harder to find a ticket to see Prince, he came to town right before he died

2 Likes

Had tickets to see him at Concord Pavilion in '99. He rescheduled and we couldn’t make the new date. Never got back around to it again and it’s one of my greatest live music regrets that I didn’t.

1 Like

I was in the NPG Music Club when it started back in 2003ish. You had first dibs at tickets, so I grabbed some. Had seen him twice in 1997. Got to will call to find that the tickets were front row; he ripped the Purple Rain solo right in front of me. And he was rolled through the crowd under the stage (which was in the round) in an instrument case. Absolutely surreal show.

3 Likes