šŸ’€ Dark Star Crashes šŸŒ¹

Actually no, I keep getting fixated on particular runs haha. Time to branch out though I think. So the hiatus was really only about 6 months?

More or less. The Blues For Allah material developed around that time. One of my favorites.

2 Likes

My #1 favorite studio album of theirs.

Happy May 8th to all who celebrate!

https://archive.org/details/gd77-05-08.sbd.hicks.4982.sbeok.shnf

4 Likes

Not sure how much Dead youā€™ve listened to at this point. Iā€™m by no means an expert as my most heavy Dead listening was over 20 years ago. If you havenā€™t gotten to this one yet, its a favorite, but Iā€™m a sucker for Mississippi Half-Step and Weather Report Suite. The opening Here Comes Sunshine and closing Stella Blue are pretty special too imo. I usually come back to Dickā€™s Picks Vol. 1 and Santanaā€™s Caravanserai on the first warm evenings of the year, which happens to be tonight.

2 Likes

Wow that really is a strong opener, I hadnā€™t heard Vol. 1 yet but Iā€™m listening fairly consistently to the point where theyā€™ve cracked my top 6 most streamed artists ever haha. Listening habits are totally scattered (but still 70s only really) but Iā€™m feeling like Florida shows tended to be pretty light and fun.

Iā€™m picking through Paul Grushkinā€™s The Very Best Dead Letters at the moment:

Absolutely fascinating for anyone involved in a fan art scene like we all are. Its essentially an archive of all the best decorated envelopes received by the Grateful Dead Ticket Service over the years, organised into themes and motifs with a couple of pages of context and stories on each. Lots of great little points of view from people outside of but close to the band, and importantly some good tips for shows to seek out. There was a little segment on famous/well known Dead Heads that really surprised me, particularly all the politicians.

4 Likes

Yesterday I got back from Vegas. Went to see Dead and Company at the Sphere. I canā€™t even put into words how incredible it was. These were my eighth, ninth and tenth D&C shows and it felt like each one beat the last.

The visuals are so good, videos and photos donā€™t do it justice. Itā€™s crystal clear and at times it does really feel immersive. So much of it was based on their history. Different iconic venues, marching bears, skeletons, it was really cool to see it all. The original visuals were great too, the way every show starts and ends at Haight Ashbury is so cool. The sound in there is really good too, I noticed it most in Drums/Space. Theyā€™d spin the sound around the entire arena. Pair that with the haptic seats and it physically shook my body. The band was playing well too with some really good sets. Got to hear a lot I never heard until this point (El Paso for example). I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever smiled more at a show than at these three.

If youā€™re a Deadhead with the time and money to go, go for it. It was one of the coolest things Iā€™ve ever experienced.

6 Likes

Looks incredible. Iā€™ve got tickets for Julyā€¦ gonna be a hot one! How hot was it inside?

Nice! Itā€™s not hot at all in there. Thereā€™s actually a slight breeze that goes through sometimes. I wouldnā€™t say you need a coat or anything but you do feel it. Make sure to stay hydrated out there though. Have a water bottle on you. They allow empty bottles in and it was well worth doing.

Incredible! It makes a lot of sense but I didnā€™t realise the audio was ā€˜circularā€™, or that there were haptics too.
Spinning the audio around seems fun, mayb a little in the spirit of some of the Deadā€™s audio tech experiments, playing with the physics of directing sound to the point that the venue becomes an instrument.

Very jealous. The concept of the Sphere still gives me the creeps a little, but if there was one band to see there I think this makes sense. With Gizz Iā€™d still rather see them somewhere as intimate as possible.

So my recent revelation of Ripple (maybe Hunterā€™s best lyrics?) has led me to discover that they did acoustic shows.
No idea how I went this long without knowing that, but it makes so much sense and I am loving it.

4 Likes

Have you come across the factoid that lyrics for Ripple, Brokedown Palace and To Lay Me Down were all written on May 24, 1970 in one afternoon on Hunters 2nd trip to England?

4 Likes

Such an incredible thing. And I always think of Neil Young writing ā€œDown by the River,ā€ ā€œCowgirl in the Sand,ā€ and ā€œCinnamon Girlā€ in the same day (while fighting the flu and a high fever).

3 Likes

Wow! I have not. I got the complete annotated lyrics book but am only picking through it, things like that are a bit scattered throughout.
I am getting the strong impression that his writing was largely inspirational like that, like with the synchronicities between him and Jerry too. Like with Terrapin was it something like they had worked on each of their parts for years and then independently finished it on the same day totally separately?