Bootleg Gizzard Spotify mystery solved

I hadn’t checked until now, but its Amazon Music too, which is what I use for lossless audio

4 Likes

3 Likes

Lots of questions on how this was announced…

I find it interesting they announced it in an Instagram story on their account with over 90% less followers then their main account?

Also find it odd it’s not listed under their main Spotify and Apple Music pages. Maybe having two streaming pages is better monetarily?

I wonder if enough people were uploading their own mp3s and the band was tired of getting it pulled… lots to speculate on

Maybe the 2nd account is just them trying to keep that bootleg vibe thing going that they think is somehow important to the whole experience? I don’t think they thought the whole bootlegger thing through from the start. They often admit they don’t know what they are doing - “we should stop telling people that” - Stu.

Adding the shows to various streaming and allowing the band to monetize the shows a bit seems like a good course correction that is a win/win for everyone.

3 Likes

tbh I wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t actually them and they just didn’t care

1 Like

YouTube Music too, though that platform is already good for this kind of semi-unofficial content.

Considering the announcement came from the Gizzverse account, which is their international merch store in partnership with Virgin, there must be some distinction from the band itself.
Obviously the decision to allow it would come down to the band, but I wonder if the idea didn’t. Definitely a way to get a bit more out of the official bootlegger thing, and I like the idea of blurring the identity of the band with a different name for streaming.

People are worried about messing up their scrobbles/Spotify wrapped haha. It was already missing all this live stuff.

2 Likes

I just find it strange they’re not putting them on the main artist page, and instead “creating” a “new” artist called bootleg gizzard for them. Glad to see the stuff on streaming. Debating if it’s worth removing my Apple Music local file uploaded versions (which are lossless on desktop, but lossy in cloud) for these. The name change is kind of annoying and making me think doing it like I do is still the best route.

People are worried about messing up their scrobbles/Spotify wrapped haha

Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

Went ahead and removed my local files from Apple Music and replaced with these. Worth the trade off of having a different artist name to have them all lossless everywhere via Apple Music.

My next question is are we to assume going forward all bootleg releases will be streamable? Or are they playing it by ear…

Speculation, but I’d guess they have the boots under a separate page to keep them from messing with the algorithm so that when ppl search King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard they get the studio albums and tradition live releases (San Fran ‘16 and Chunky) without getting lost in all the mix of tons of live albums.

1 Like

Maybe they’re doing this intentional self sabotage in order to give all other musicians a fighting chance at the Top Artist leaderboards next year when the Gizzyboiz release a dozen albums at once

Said this over on the Reddit but I don’t blame them for it, in fact it makes a boatload of sense. The bootleg program (even with rules in place) is free flowing. People have uploaded boots in the past and the band had to take them down but I don’t think it’s just the annoyance of that. Say someone uploads boots, they’d (I think) have free range to profit off of the streaming revenue given and monopolize the albums which goes against its whole point. By uploading it themselves they beat grifters to the game while supporting themselves and supplying for fans.

I just wished they clarified this sooner because I really thought it was someone being disrespectful to the band’s wishes.

2 Likes